Dragon of the Guadalupe

The Guadalupe River runs through this small nature trail I go to quite often for peace and quiet . . . and of course to take photos.

The river is fairly low and the water is crystal clear, which makes for incredibly interesting photo image possibilities. Couldn’t help but think of some sort of monster globing up all the fall leaves.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I did a bit of clarity adjustment in LR to tone down a bit of reflection and also some content aware in PS to remove a couple of miscellaneous leave in the URC. All thoughts and comments welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

What I saw at first were the bright colors of the leaves against the dark water. . . and then this incredible break in the rock. Also how the patterns in the light spots of the rock seem to imitate the leaves. How about you? Any and all thought welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/18, 1/50sec., iso 3320, 16-80mm @42mm, hand held.

Hi, Linda. I used to attend a yearly music camp in Kerrville, Tx. and always wanted to go play in the Guadalupe, but never got the chance! This photo makes me want to go back! Of course, I didn’t know there were dragons…:wink: Nicely done.

1 Like

Linda, this is a very well seen small scene. The open mouth, colorful leaves and strong eye look great and are nicely inviting and good for a strong chuckle.

Oh, my kind of scene! I love it. The colors and distinctive shapes of the leaves framed by the rocks is lovely. I could see making the rocks less prominent, by taking down the lights and reducing the clarity, perhaps, and then brightening the leaves. Gave it whirl to see what that would look like.

Thanks @terryb, @Mark_Seaver and @Bonnie_Lampley. This was definitely an exciting walk for me as I found several “abstract” images that I liked. I also, totally enjoying photographing patterns, textures, colors and rhythms when I’m out and about. Also, like your interpretation of this image and can certainly see how making the rock slightly darker helps emphasize the leaves. Thanks for taking the time to do this.