Dragon Swallowtail Mass Hatching

In my previous post, a female Sericinus montela was laying her eggs near our river in Korea. So this series is a narrative “prequel” (because taken later). First, we see 4 males mud-puddling to build up energy supplies for mating. Then there is a fresh female, perched prominently to indicate her readiness for mating. The third shot shows a united couple, who mated for about 20 minutes (female on top). After mating, the females lay eggs and then keep as low a profile as possible, while the males (shot 4) continue to fly around in the (apparent) lottery of mate-seeking. This hatching was exceptional, because in the end there were at least 200 males and an estimated 25 females in an area of some 200 square yards. Now, after a week, few of these butterflies remain, and in another week’s time they will be gone. Watch this space for the larvae.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

D 500 + 105mm macro.

1 Like

Fascinating series, Mike! How long did it take for you to get the whole series? Was it individual sessions? Great detail in the individual shot and I love how you’ve included the environment the first and last photos. Can’t wait for more. Thank you for sharing this special event.

Very cool, Mike and some great shots. It’s always fascinating to follow the life cycles of wildlife. I enjoyed the narrative.

1 Like

Mike, you have captured a nice series of images telling the story of the Dargon Swallowtail. Thank you so much for sharing. Quite interesting and I think well captured.

Thanks for your comments @linda_mellor. I visited the site on 4 days, only finding the puddling area near the river on the fourth day. As the area floods after heavy rain, it is pretty undisturbed by humans - and the females know to lay their eggs on higher ground.

1 Like

Thanks, @terryb and @Shirley_Freeman. I must admit I approach this from the camera viewpoint first, and this leads me into more and more detailed aspects of the life cycle. And as someone I know said: “The more I learn about butterflies, the less I understand them.”

2 Likes