Dragonfly highlights

What technical feedback would you like if any? I tried to counter the highlights with the subtle details emerging from the depths. The water appears dark, but has lots of green in it. I cloned away a couple of spots and dodged others - not sure you can tell.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any feedback welcomed. I liked the detail and highlight on the dragonfly contrasting to the subtle details below the water. I tried to frame to get some flow with the weeds

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Fuji 55-230mm @101mm - ISO 200 - F8 - 1/500 sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

What a unique view of one of Nature’s more splendid creatures. Seeing this while listening to Miles Davis’ “Fredie Freeloader” echoes is quite a trip.
At first I did not get why the light blue was included at the bottom, and then I remembered the opening portamento of Rhapsody in Blue … a quirky but perfect introduction to the rest of the artwork.
That said, I do not get the bright splash In the middle right. Zap that and the image is a haiku.

Photo feedback with a jazz reference, that’s my kind of feedback! Thanks for the kind comments. I tend to not like to clean up photos of blemishes, I like to work with what is there. But in this one I did, and perhaps that last bright splash should go too. It is said middle-eastern carpet makers always leave an imperfection in the pattern, because only God is perfect. Perhaps this is more Thelonious Monk than Miles Davis :). Thank again, enjoyed the feedback.

Rather than centering it I would bring the top down, raising the dragonfly.

This has an elegant look to it which i like very much.

2 Likes

Wonderful capture Charles but could I suggested a possible crop?

1 Like

I would very much welcome any advice! Thank you

CVO

Thank you Igor I will try that

CVO

Gorgeous all are good but Eva’s suggested crop gets my vote.

Eva

Eva for some reason I couldn’t see your crop earlier - I like it very much, it adds motion - thank you

@Eva_McDermott Thanks again for the tip on the crop but did you also tweak the WB? It seems warmer (and nicer) - thanks

Hi Charles. This is an amazing shot. You got the exposure perfect here! Compositionally, I like it just as you presented it. All the negative space around the dragonfly works perfectly IMHO.

The only suggestions I have are small clean-up details, like cloning the bright dot in the right mid frame, and perhaps cloning (but at only 50% opacity) some of the brighter little tangles near the top; not to eliminate them but just to tone them down a little.

Thanks Bill glad you liked it- I never thought to use the clone stamp tool in that way

CVO

Hi Charles - Most welcome. BTW - I did not adjust the WB.