Dragon Fly

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Went down to a local pond today to find some dragon flies. Came away with quite a few. Thought this one worked OK with the pose and the nice background. A little more DOF may have been nice, but I still like the emphasis on the head / wings and major parts of the body.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Olympus EM-1X, 300mm f/4
1/640, f/9, ISO 200
Handheld
Full Frame with a touch of extra canvas added on the left.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Keith,

I enjoyed this image a lot. The detail is gorgeous and the fact that the broken wing is out of focus enhanced the story, I feel. So colorful and great background. Brilliant is a word.

Chris

Nicely done, Keith. This is the kind of macro work I like, and I do it a lot. Long focal lengths are always my lenses of choice to isolate the subjects while keeping my distance. And your natural light is great here. Some folk may prefer more DOF to get better focus on the abdomen and perch, but the essentials are sharp, and I know all too well that your nicely diffused focus on the BG can quickly get really messy. Overall no nits from me.

Keith: Sharp where it needs to be and a solid comp. Love the overall color palette and detail in the eyes and face. Most excellent! >=))>

Beautifully captured, Keith. As others have said, focus is where it needs to be. I guess the DF was able to get around okay with the broken wing? I don’t think I have ever seen one with a broken wing.