Dragonfly Eyes

I went out to our flower garden today and noticed a dragonfly hanging out. I got my camera and eased in a little at the time until he seemed comfortable with my presence. Changed my f-stop a couple of times as the background was a bit closer than I wanted, so tried to get it smooth and his eyes sharp.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Taken with Canon 5D II, Canon 180 mm macro lens HH, settings manual except ISO auto. F-71, 1/400, ISO 1000. Edited in LR (highlights/shadows and a little cropping just to help with the composition), and Topaz AI Clear.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Wow Shirley, the detail in the eyes is amazing. I feel like it is about to jump off the screen at me. The OOF background definitely helps to focus on the dragonfly. Really nicely seen and executed.

1 Like

Shirley: The eyes have it! Awesome capture and I applaud your DOF management. Really well done.>=))>

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

Love those eyes–nice and sharp and the highlights are well controlled. I like how the OOF flower bud frames the head. I like this one as presented. Awesome…Jim

1 Like

Wow Shirley, that is amazing and the angle of the winds help with the overall composition.

1 Like

Really nice Shirley. Great view of the eyes and front of the thorax. Terrific control of focus and DOF. Looks like a Blue Dasher to me. Nicely done!

1 Like

Shirley, those eyes are outstanding, quite a combination of colors and facets. Getting the top of the thorax sharp adds a lot to this view.

1 Like

Shirley, Amazing eyes! I love the perspective, which is unusual. Great composition with the wings spread out at an angle. Very well done.

1 Like