Detail In The Eyes

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any you might can provide.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition look okay?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 100 mm L macro Lens, KX-800 twin flash, f19, 1/60, ISO 160 manual setting, handheld.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I love tight looks at a dragonflies faces, Shirley, partly from knowing how challenging it is to get this close. The details in the face are outstanding, especially with the extra dof that your flashes provide. I’m a bit torn between liking what I see here and wondering how a bit more contrast in the eyes would look.

I agree, Mark, I think the eyes could use some contrast to make them pop more. What do you think of this edit? I used NIK Viveza to select just the eyes and used contrast and saturation. Too much? Just right, or a little more?

Wow Shirley I think this is excellent. Love the close up look of dragonfly faces and you have captured it better than I ever have - may have to look into that twin flash. Details on the face and especially those eyes is great. The repost looks real good to me too. I’m not a big fan of the oof nub on the perch sticking up but it is interesting that the dragonfly is resting an arm there. Very well done.

Thank you, Allen. I do appreciate your kind comments. The twin flash is a Venus Laowa KX-800 twin macro flash, running around $230. I try to use homemade diffusers (not quite satisfied with what I have right now, so still working on that.

The extra pop in the eyes looks great, Shirley. I’m always amazed at how much difference a subtle change can make in the overall “feel”.

Thank you, Mark, and for suggesting it to begin with, as I think it did make a difference. You are right, small, subtle changes can make a difference, as in this case. I’m working on another image of a bug, and trying to think about the small changes that might make a difference, and so your advice on this shot is helping my editing on other shots as well. I appreciate it.

Shirley ask me about dragonflies. Beautiful work. Appreciate the dof achieved at that close range

Thank you, Balan. You have me curious now, what about dragonflies? I love watching them, and trying to photograph them. So any thoughts or advice is certainly welcome. I admire your photography.

Shirley: Great POV and the repost is a notable improvement. :+1::+1:>=))>

Thank you, Bill, much appreciated.