Brown Eyes

I guess I would have to say that this macro shot of the eyes of this dragonfly is probably my favorite shot from 2019.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Shirley,

I can see why this one is one of your favorites. Details are awesome…Jim

1 Like

The detailed look at this DF’s eye facets is outstanding Shirley. It’s easy to see why this is a favorite.

1 Like

I certainly see why, Shirley. That’s an awesome image.

1 Like

Shirley,

Simply amazing! Fantastic with the detail in the eyes and forward elements. Bonus for me is the color. The combo of the red-browns of the insect with the green background really elevates this image for me.

Lon

1 Like

Superb job on this! I don’t think anyone could do better. It is amazing enlarged on my monitor.

Thank you, David, Lon, Dennis, Mark, and Jim forfor your kind comments. I haven’t been on here much for the last few weeks because I was in a car accident and fracture a couple bones in my right hand, making typing very difficult. It is healing so nicely and quickly, I think, and I am back to being able to type again. I missed commenting on all your wonderful photos, and am now getting back into the swing of it. I would like to wish all a very Merry Christmas!

Very impressive, Shirley. Love the colors and the sharp eyes (no catch light, but in this case that wouldn’t be possible!) Can you please let us know what macro lens you used and how you managed to get that close?

Thank you, Kathy. I appreciate your kind comments, and your interest in how I accomplished it. I was using a Canon 5D Mark II in manual mode (f19, 1/125, ISO 400, with Canon 100 mm L macro lens, and a Venus KX-100 twin flash with a diffuser on. I cropped it about 42%, so I wasn’t as close as it looks. I do talk to the dragonflies and tell them softly that they have pretty eyes. It works on some of them, and they stay perched, rolling their head back and forth occasionally. If you do a search on YouTube for Thomas Shahan, I learned a lot from him and also about the twin flash. Hope that helps.

1 Like

A fascinating macro, Shirley! I love the detail in the eyes (especially in the large version). We have lots of dragonflies here but I have never tried to get this close to them. I don’t have the right lens for one thing.

1 Like

Awesome image with perfect DOF.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Outstanding details Shirley, and a fine color scheme across the frame. Kudos !!

Balan Vinod

1 Like