Dreams and Fantasies

This is an older image that’s had a hold on me and grown in stature over time. I don’t know exactly what it’s about but the goal was never one of beauty. I have compressed the fg with the bg to make it look as though one is floating above the other. I guess I find it intriguing in the sense that it takes me on different journeys and I rather enjoy that. All I can say is that it looks alien but not necessarily in a threatening way. I’ve decided that if I don’t show it now I probably never will. One moves on and newer ideas take precedence.

So what do you think about this image in general? How does it strike you when you see it?

D810 24-70mm

7 Likes

When I view this image I feel the need to hang it next to your last incredible rock shot.

The very subtle colours are very appealing and the rock formation has been beautifully composed.

I get the impression of floating, perhaps from a very high hot air balloon. The top structure reminds me of a mountain range, with clouds above and then more ranges til I get to the highest summit in the midground before I tumble into the valley below.

Read this quote on Guy Tal’s account that made me think of my image:

“There are, I suppose, many ways of getting at reality. Our province is this small bit of space; and only by operating within that limited space — endlessly exploring the relationships within it — can we contribute our special meanings that come out of man’s varied life. Otherwise, our photographs will be vague. They will lack impact, or they will deteriorate into just ‘genre’ as so many documentary shots do.”

—Aaron Siskind

I very much like the subtlety of this shot. The colors are soft and muted making this more about the contours and 3 dimensionality than color pop. I see the preserved bones and structure of a sea turtle looking down on the remains of another sea creature that are both frozen in time on the bed of an ancient sea bed. Ok, vivid imagination but that’s what my mind tells me. If I get super nit picky, when blown up large, there are three little tiny indents intruding from the frame in the very URC that could be cropped out or cloned out. Also, the LRC could get dodged as it sort of just falls off the frame. Superb image. I’m glad you posted this and didn’t let this get away.

I just saw that quote on Guy Tal’s page and it really resonated with me because I feel like I go over and over the literal same ground all the time (having not been anywhere different for the last 2 years at least).

As far as your tafoni, I see a wave crashing on the beach at the top with sloshing waves in front of it, all washing up on an alien shore. You may not have intended it to be beautiful, but I think it is. I could look at this for a long time.

1 Like

To be honest I don’t know what I intended. I just move the frame around until it feels right and then I shoot. I don’t know why it feels right.

1 Like

Another one where I really don’t know what to say except - absolutely riveting. It is so evocative . The philosopher, Gregory Bateson has said that there are certain forms that we can instantly recognize as life, for example, spiral shapes. This image has that feel to it for me, perhaps the decayed remnants of a living thing or perhaps the living thing itself (as you suggest, something alien). In any case, I find it riveting and, as usual, from composition to execution in post, you have brought another exceptional image into the world.

2 Likes

Rocks as life forms.
A drunken frog, about to be pounced upon by angry crabs.

I’ve been interested lately, in the relationship between the image and the viewer. A relationship is formed when the viewer interprets the image through the filter of their experience, knowledge and dreams. This requires they use their imagination, and it makes the image uniquely theirs, yet it is also connected to the creator. They share it.
What I love about this image is the forms and textures beg the viewer to move their imagination past easy viewing into participatory imagining. Our narratives gets woven into yours.

2 Likes

So much said above! I’ve gotten behind here and will never catch up and have only seen the thumbnail of your last post, but loved it, as I do this one! I’m not good at explaining why, but I find these images wonderful! The obviously hard and rugged rock contains a design that just dances, complemented by soft light and subtle color.

1 Like

This is so good.
This is about passing time; this about about how brief our existence is.
Absolutely love this one.
(and - and it’s kind of strange on an image like this - i agree with David suggestion concerning URC).

1 Like

Fascinating. Organic rocks. What fun!

2 Likes

I can’t add much to what’s been said, but I am drawn to creating images like this too. It is definitely one for the portfolio. I visualize it printed on some fine art velvet paper.

1 Like

I get stuck on this picture every time. A wonderful photograph. On the one hand you have this softness with all these watercolor tones and the next moment I kind of feel the grain and structure. When I look at it for a longer time, it feels like the shapes start to melt into each other before my eyes. We also have sandstone formations nearby and I always have the feeling of being in contact with an ancient symbol or trace of an ancient life form that we no longer know. As I process these images, I drift further and further into this world, just like in the stories and tales of HP Lovecraft. A really wonderful work.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller, @glennie @Kerry_Gordon, @David_Haynes, @Rick_Alway, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Martin9, @Tony_Kuyper, @joaoquintela

Lots of really interesting comments on this image. In fact, the comments have been some of the most thought provoking I have read here on NPN. So the image gave people pause to think and evaluate. I guess it’s a success in that respect. I sort of wish the image had a greater ‘presence’ in a technical sense. It just has this bland feel to it. But adding contrast will change it I feel. I don’t know how I would feel having it on the wall and looking at it every day. It might be unsettling. On the other hand, the biggest issue that I have with prints is that I get bored with them and this one might put that off a bit longer than many others. Definitely worth printing and seeing if the interest holds.

Excellent!!!

@Bonnie_Lampley, several months ago I wrote that I am interested in pursuing a different direction in my work. If you recall, you asked me to show an example. This may be my best example. Unfortunately images like this show up unplanned. I can’t seem to pursue them and purposely come up with them. At this point they’re almost accidents. I think I might be getting better at it though. The accidents occur more frequently now.

@Igor_Doncov - I vaguely recall that conversation, but I don’t recall in what direction you wanted to go. Maybe you could expound in your next post - I’d like to know.

Here’s another gem, this time from Weston:

Now to consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.

1 Like