Dried poinsettia leaf

Drizzly day outside, so looking for photo-ops in house.
Still learning to use new Sony 90mm macro.

Specific Feedback Requested

Would image be improved by cropping off the dark edge at the bottom? That would mean losing some of the interesting tubular/curled leaf in the lower left…

Any other suggestions/thoughts welcome! Just learning macro…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony a7Riv, Sony 90mm macro. Flash with 9x11" softbox at 12:00 at end of lens.
ISO 80, f/20, 1/250
LR: small increase in contrast/texture/clarity/dehaze; lightened shadows, pushed purple/magenta luminance (seen in major veins).
Topaz DN: minimal noise reduction, mod sharpness enhancement

This is a cool close-up look at the leaf. I would be inclined to crop a bit to eliminate the oval at the bottom toward the right. I find that shape and dark spot pulls my attention. Here is the crop to let you know what I was thinking.

Barry, congratulations on your new camera! Always exciting to get new equipment, but of course, there is the learning curve. Macro is, to me, a very exciting area of photography. The details in the tiny things that we can’t see and enjoy normally, becomes alive to us in Macro.

I really like this image, and think you did a wonderful job having just begun in Macro. The lines, and shapes are really nice. You managed the lighting very well with the softbox. I do like Harley’s crop. It keeps the eyes in the frame and scanning through the image, enjoying all the shapes, lines and texture of the leaf. Well done, and I am so looking forward to more of your images.

Agree! This crop is definitely better. Now the eye is drawn inevitably down the black hole. No distractions. Thanks!

Barry, this shows off a well seen collection of details. You’ve used the lines radiating out from the leaf center very well, with Harley’s crop adding a bit more emphasis to that feature. The fuzzy hair show up well as a fine detail.

1 Like

Hi Barry. Very nice detail. I like the cropped version emphasizing the curvature of space-time(leading lines) into the black hole. Well done.

1 Like