To The Point

Bird of Paradise flowers are one of my favorite subjects but the leaves can be pretty interesting too. This plant was almost killed by the severe freeze we had last February but it recovered over the summer and now has a lot of vibrant leaves. It did not flower this past year but hopes are high for 2022. Spotted this leaf top backlit by the setting sun this afternoon and liked the lines and DOF progression. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7RIII
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400, 1/30 @ f22

2 Likes

Looks good, Bill. Great light and the shallow DOF works nicely.

Oh Bill, this is sweet. I love how you used the shallow DOF and lines to draw the eye through to the point. Nicely done.

Wonderful flowing lines leading right to the tip, Bill. The dark/black background really makes the leaf pop. Very nicely seen and captured.

The light and dark background are perfect to show the curve and texture of the leaf. I’m glad you can find beauty to photograph even without the flowers. I wish this had a little more sharpness to it. Maybe a tighter crop from the bottom?

Bill, there’s a wonderful amount of movement from the edges and the lines in the leaf. Very elegant against the black background.

Wonderful find, well presented! I love the lighting and DOF! The shadow from the top edge adds the perfect touch.