Droplet lenses

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

After an early spring rain there were lots of droplet lenses hanging from the plants in my yard. This is a close-up look at this series, where each drop is attached to a point on the leaf.

Technical Details

R5, 180mm macro, 1/80 s, f/8, iso 1600, tripod. A 60 shot stack.

2 Likes

Very nice indeed, Mark. A tight in close look shares some neat reflections in each of the drops…really cool stuff… :sunglasses:
Another thought might be to crop out the lower leaf and just have the upper hanging raindrop view… :thinking:

Mark, this is very nice. Wonderful details especially in the refractions in the water drops. They remind me of Christmas lights hanging on the eve of a house. Well done. I like @Paul_Breitkreuz recommendation, but still an excellent shot as presented.

1 Like

Mark, I love the reflections one sees in those tiny droplets. The level of detail is quite remarkable. I am also fascinated by the light on the right side of the image. This is really a beautiful capture with the darker BG to enhance the leaf colors and droplets. I am curious, though not suggesting, if you thought about cloning the dark bug (?) between the leaves.

Mark,

Outstanding! The detail is incredible. The water droplets of course, but all the rest of the details down to the little hairs (or whatever they’re called.)

I like the framing as presented. The bottom leaf anchors nicely and I like how the oof stem “sprouts” out of the bottom. Works for me!

The only small nit I have - which I only noticed upon extra views…, is the black area in the middle of the top leaves. Not sure what can be done other than selectively lightening to come closer to the tones of the oof background. Not a biggie, but an observation.

Lesson noted. The detail is incredible and explains why using only a 7-shot manually focused stack proves to be not as effective… :wink: :upside_down_face: :roll_eyes:

Lon, the need for 60 shots comes from getting very close (nearly life size on the chip) and wanting to get the images in the drops sharp. At the working distance for your fir shot, 7 -10 shots is probably all that are needed.

2 Likes

Wow, the detail is amazing. I agree about the dark spots - could you have removed the dark bug(?) near the top?

And this is why I will never make as good a water drop image as this. :rofl: I simply don’t have the patience!

1 Like