Drown in all the evidence (+1 re-edit)

With a graduated filter with a negative dehaze adjustment in the LLC -

One from my 2020 Fall Cypress Tour.

Desperately I had to get out of the boat to uh, recycle my coffee, and when I paddled back out found this amazing scene. Having 30 degrees air temps makes for the most amazing fog. It doesn’t last, but while it does it’s amazing.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything helpful is welcome…impressions, thoughts…ideas. Have at it.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Shot while in a bathtub…no kayak…it only paddled like a bathtub.

Lr processed for the b&w conversion and a lot of tonal management. The crop and sharpening. Photoshop to remove some ick from the water surface.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Definitely a wow! But in an odd sort of way it may suffer from too much beauty, in that my eye bounces between the gorgeously shrouded trees to the wonderful reflection. I wonder about a couple of possible solutions – more of the trees, and/or darken the water a bit.

Wow, that is striking. I love the way all the linear elements interact - the slanted, misty shafts of light, the vertical tree trunks, and the horizontal ripples. The frame overall feels a bit tight to me. The darkest tree trunk is taking up too much of the frame, I think. Is there more on the top and/or bottom?

Amazing image! I agree with Diane. Maybe darken the water just a bit; perhaps a graduated filter on an angle to darken and soften the lower left triangle, if that makes sense. That might help with blending the larger tree trunk into the whole image as well. But a definite wowzer! Good thing you had coffee that morning :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone.

I don’t have any room on the bottom in this image - can’t recall why, but it’s possible there was something messy there like a pile of sticks.

Instead of darkening the water there, which I think emphasized the left side too much, I moved the dehaze slider to the left in effect lightening it and bringing up the existing fog somewhat. New image in OP. Better? Worse? Neutral?

A great image, Kristen. Have you tested to reveal some more of the big tree trunk to the left? Now it is very dark and dominating.

That subtle negative dehaze adjustment brought a bit more balance to the scene. Really nice!