The Surround

Early morning, before the sun rises, a cypress bayou is a mysterious place. With fog it’s even more obscure. There is color, but you have to wait for it to show with the sun. Before that, just paddle and find compositions. Anchor yourself with a knee or two (I think I had the boat wedged between a couple for this shot) and absorb the atmosphere through your very pores.

Specific Feedback Requested

It’s a bit of an oddball composition with the closest trees to either side and the middle ones receding in the fog. I like it for this since most of my other photos are the opposite (and so are many other people’s shots of similar conditions).

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Lumix G Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 lens @ 32mm (64mm equiv.)
ƒ/5.0 | 1/30 sec | ISO 200

I didn’t do too much in Lr except accentuate the fog here and there. Used local texture and dehaze and added a touch of sharpening & NR. Cropped to emphasize the overall comp. Removed some debris in the water with Ps.

2 Likes

Wow, I am surprised I am the first to comment on this one. My pleasure though. Really nice image! Love the mysterious , dreamy mood and beautiful bayou scene. I played with cropping a little off the right, but prefer it as you have posted it. A most enjoyable image.

1 Like

Thanks @Harley_Goldman - the foggy backwaters were my favorite parts of the trip. I’m glad you like the dark side!

Kris, I see nothing wrong or unusual with the composition. Framing the scene with the larger trees on the left and right lets the viewer look into the center distance and feel the mystery. The mix of cut off trees and nice reflections works very well.

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Seaver - seems like I’ve just been looking at images like this with centered trees being the darkest/most clear in the fog. I loved being there so much I may do another workshop this year.

Mystical. I like the composition as it draws the viewer in. Very well done and it must have been great being down at water level paddling around.

1 Like

Wonderful. I missed this one somehow until now. This is one of those images that makes one wish to be there, at that moment.
From your description I understand that this is not a toned b&w image. But it reminds me of the prints I made long ago on warm-tone b&w paper, sometimes enhanced with a toner. This is an almost monochrome image, but there are subtle colors here and there that differ from the “main” hue.
I love it. No comments on the composition. And there is just enough contrast to prevent the image from being too flat. Great.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Leroy & @Han_Schutten - it is a color image with nothing done to make it so drab. Kayak level is pretty great and I spend a lot of time in one come summer. This was in November in far east Texas.