Kayaker in the mist

While I have many foggy shots from my Fall Cypress Tour, I decided to show this one first since for me, it represents the trip as a whole. Because it was November 2020, I wasn’t sure the trip would go forward at all because of COVID-19. When it did (with appropriate cautions) I was overjoyed and I think that’s what this shot encapsulates for me. It was our first sunrise in a semi-secret location in the southern Atchafalaya Basin. I was originally photographing some trees with sun on them and I turned around and saw the light shafting in between the trees behind me. Then I saw a person slowly paddling through and I willed her to come into the open. After some silent pleas, she did and I think the addition of a person in the scene helps with immediacy and accessibility.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome. As you can probably tell, the light in this was hard to work with but so dramatic that I had to give it a try.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Lumix G Vario 35-100 f/2.8 lens @ 42mm (84mm equiv)
f/20 | 1/30 sec | ISO 200
Handheld in my own kayak

Was at f/20 for some starbursts that I created in some other images. There is a bit of one going on here, too, but I don’t think it detracts from your attention on the kayaker. Luckily she was moving slowly and so my slow ss works ok.

Lr processed to manage highlights & shadows. LOTS of dodging and burning - especially in the hanging moss. Dehaze touches in the mist and a crop to straighten the horizon. Sharpening & nr. Into Ps to remove some distractions in the water & add Smart Sharpening.

the.wire.smith
1 Like

That light streaming in from the left side through the trees is absolutely magical, Kristen! The sunstar is a wonderful element in the scene as is the kayaker and that light mist burning off of the water is the cherry on top. Great patience to hang in there and wait on that kayaker. Beautifully done.

I just love this scene Kristen. It is just dripping with mood. Congrats!

What a great shot, Kris! The lines of both strong and muted light make this for me.

Thanks guys. It’s hard to pick just one from this morning session…the light in these trees with that kiss of mist was perfect. We didn’t have clouds, but this was worth it.

It is indeed magical. You handled that streaming light well, and the kayaker is the final touch. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thanks Terry - it was an incredible day.

Funny you should say this - I rarely have people in my photos, but when I saw this shot while processing between sunrise & sunset sessions, I saw the power in it and got another image of a different tour member in his kayak at sunset. I deliberately hung back from where a bunch of folks paddled ahead of me and waited for someone to come into my trap. He did and liked the image so much I sent him a copy he could print.

I managed a thrid kayaker shot on another sunrise where nothing was working for me. I happened into an open section behind some trees and saw one of our guides close to a tree full of ibises and managed a landscape of the trees and her taking pictures. She’s tiny in the frame and I wish I’d been able to shoot the birds close up, but the shot works as an illustration of what a tour like that can deliver.

They’re three of the best shots of the workshop and I think it’s entirely due to the human factor.

1 Like

Kris, the lighting is as good as it gets, with it streaming in, the bits of mist rising, the backlit Spanish moss and the kayaker. Well worth the patience and a magical result.

1 Like

Well composed with fantastic light and amazing color. The warmth of this image creates a very soothing mood.

1 Like

Wonderful.
Enough said.

1 Like

Thanks much, guys. It is a special image that I’ll always treasure for the memory as well as the end result.