Not a care

Mining more from last year’s Fall Cypress Tour. The gift that keeps on giving. We went to the same location for both sunrise & sunset on day 1 and so the familiarity worked in my favor. While many other participants went ahead of me into those trees, I hung back because I wanted to see if I could get a shot with another kayaker in it as I had in the morning session. That image turned out to be pretty powerful so I thought it would work here, too.

Basically I just sat and watched for my moment and here it is. I pulled the lens back from the zoomed position for the trees I was working to give him space to paddle through and I like the diagonal line of the tree reflections.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is ok. I’ve been living with this image for months and it’s a favorite, but that doesn’t mean it’s perfect.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Lumix G Vario 35-100 f/2.8 lens @ 31mm (62mm equiv.)
f/20 | 1/320 sec. | ISO 200
Handheld in the kayak

Had the lens closed down for sunrays coming through the trees to the left of him when he came into the right position and I didn’t open up, just watched my shutter speed. Luckily it was bright enough and I was deliberately underexposing because of the big sun. Anyway…

Processed in Lr for color balance and to up exposure. Some color channel work brought out the variations from yellow to purple. Sharpening & nr and curves adjustment to open the mid-tones. Brought into Ps to remove a metric ton of spots due to a dirty lens. Bah. Also some TK6 masks to further improve the mids.

@the.wire.smith
3 Likes

Wow – this is wonderful! I love the sunrise colors and the kayaker is the perfect touch. The challenging tonal range is well-handled. I did a private boat tour there years ago and have wanted to go back again ever since.

Did you go with a photo tour? I need to research who is doing them now. If you have any good information, I’d love you to shoot me a PM!

Very nicely done! Wonderful composition. Your patience in waiting for the kayaker to be perfectly placed really paid off. Great handling of tonal range. A very pleasing photo.

Kris, the configuration of Cypress silhouettes leading into the distance is outstanding. The colors are great and the kayaker adds an interesting human element. Well conceived and executed.

Well done. Excellent color and silhouettes.

This has a wonderful peaceful vibe that I find very inviting, Kris. I can almost feel the calm stillness of the beginning of a new day. The timing and placement of the kayaker is perfect in the scene. Your patience paid off beautifully. You certainly made the most of the tour with these wonderful images.

Thanks everyone. It was the deepest color of any sunset (or sunrise) we saw that week so I’m quite pleased John came into the perfect spot for this image. He liked it, too, and I sent him a full res image he could print.