Secret Longing

To continue the story, I left my fellow paddler to photograph the tree from Deep in the Heart and immediately saw this scene. I knew it was the one. Gently I inched around in the boat looking for both a good composition and a place I could basically run aground. Even in a backwater like this you can drift, but luckily I found a tangle of roots or something that I lodged the kayak on. It was too dark for me to tell at that point and so I waited for the light.

It was around 30 degrees F and I was freezing. I didn’t think we’d be in temps that low so I had no hat or gloves and clothing that wasn’t particularly warm. I basically put on everything I had with me, lol. After a while I started shivering and was irritated because I didn’t want ripples in the water. Then my teeth started chattering. Enough! The light was about what I wanted and so I started shooting, forcing myself to stop with the shivering and hold the camera steady. This is one of the images I like best.

Specific Feedback Requested

What works, what doesn’t work…the usual. The orange in the trees what part of what I was waiting for but does it compete too much? Should I tone it down? I played with a tighter crop both in the field and in Lr, but that opening on the left is so inviting to me as a kayaker that I left it. That might not work for non-kayakers though and so…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
LUMIX G VARIO 35-100mm F2.8 @ 39.0 mm (78.0 mm in 35mm)
f/6.3 | 1/30 sec. | ISO 400
Handheld in the kayak

Another that was extensively processed to preserve this mood of exploration, discovery and wonder. Managed the highlights in the trees in the bg and the overall exposure, clarity and texture where needed, dodging and burning to improve transition from dark to light in the fog, sharpening and nr, color channel work to brighten the foliage. Ps to remove distractions in the water.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Kris, the lighting here makes the view, with the orange through the trees making a great background. The details in the tree with it’s leaves, the kiss of mist and the fine reflections all come together very well. I like the balance, with the tree on the right and the misty knees to the left. (BTW, shivering like that means that you were on the verge of hypothermia…been there and done that and it’s a bear)

I’m not a kayaker, but that opening in the left is totally inviting…I’m glad you kept it in this composition. It draws my eye and makes me want to explore it further. (It’s the little boy in me, wanting to explore the forest)
This scene is gorgeous. You’ve created quite a beautiful series. It’d be cool to see them together at a showing in a local gallery! Congrats again. I’m sure next time you’ll have that hat, gloves, and plan for that cold.

Thanks Mark! I did paddle down there and look what I found -

Beaver lodge!

Thanks, Mark. Probably right on the nose. I paddled out into the sun and warmed up for a while. Crazy.

How cool. Your curiosity was rewarded!

Kris: I’m super late to this party but your cypress swamp shots are wonderful. I’ve wanted a kayak for a long time just for this kind of opportunity but haven’t made it happen. Looks like a terrific experience and you have some marvelous images. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Thanks Bill. I didn’t drag my boat all the way down there, but went with a tour company that provides the boats and all the paddling gear. There were some first time kayakers and they did fine so if you want to try it, I can send you a PM. I’m SO tempted to do it again this fall.

A beautiful and moody scene that you worked hard for.
I wondered a bit about the bluish sky poking through the trees in ULC, seemed to draw my eye there. I used a bright luminance mask and cloned in some of the beige foliage in the attachment.

I’d never have thought to do that and I like it. Thanks for taking the time with the image. It’s a special one and this looks darn good.