Duck in early morning mist

Been doing photography for about a month. Caught this guy at a pond across the street. Felt like I’m starting to get set up for morning light better.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon z6ii. Nikon 200-500mm, 1/125 sec, F/5.6, iso1000

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, Kristian. That’s a nice look at the duck. I like the slight head turn and you have some catch light in the eye. You also have some nice light illuminating the duck. You might try to eliminate the light flare on the left edge. Nice first post; keep them coming.

Hello and welcome to NPN. Nice duck you have here. I know it’s hard to anticipate and control things with wildlife, but the bit of water going through the head is not ideal. If you have similar images without that, those might work better. The light is soft and helps smooth the color transitions in the feathers. Seems still a bit contrasty, but light like this sometimes is. Keep at it. I’m a bird photography newbie so am always interested in what other folks are doing.

Hi Kristian, Welcome to NPN! Nice first post. I like the reflection here and there also seems to be mist rising off the water which is pretty cool. Nice head turn back toward us. Typically you wouldn’t want your subject so centered but it works here for me with the symmetry of the ripples in the water.

Welcome to NPN, Kristian. This is a great place to learn. I like the head turn and the mist above the water. I think the image would be stronger if you cropped out the bright band on the left and cropped in from the right to put the duck toward the left side of the frame a bit. It’s always hard with the ripple ellipses, because there’s a temptation to keep the whole ellipse, but it usually comes across better if the bird is off center and moving into the frame.

A nice first post. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Welcome, Kristian! A very nice first post. I think you have some good suggestions above, and I would add that a bit of noise reduction might be good. So much can happen to an image after the shutter is fired – it will help if you give some information about your processing. You have great equipment!

[quote=“Kristian Wolowidnyk , post:1, topic:28188, username:Kristian_Wolowidnyk”]

Technical Details

Nikon z6ii. Nikon 200-500mm, 1/125 sec, F/5.6, iso1000

[/quot

Thanks for all the advice.

I really appreciate it