Early morning traffic jam at the refuge

Shovelers IF

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 1000, 100-400 plus 1.4X at 560 and in APC mode (720), f8 1600th, handheld, A7R4, minimal processing

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

David, the detail in each of the ducks is wonderful. Just wondering if you considered cropping in a bit to get just a little closer to the flock? I am just in awe that you can do this so well, and handheld, amazing.

David, the clarity of the ducks is quite striking. The mix of water and grasses fits perfectly, looks good and speaks well to where they like to hang out. I like your comp. The centered birds gives them strong visual weight and helps separate them from their surroundings.

Pretty good example of a busy composition. The birds do stand out due to difference in focus but the lighter background is distracting as you would expect in a busy comp.

Amazing to get them all in good focus David. That’s always so difficult in this kind of shot. They do try to blend into the background here. You might play with desaturating the background a bit to see if that makes a difference. I also think it might be worthwhile to take some canvas off our right to give the illusion of more space for them to fly into.

A killer in-flight capture of these Shovelors, David! Excellent detail and the pano crop was a good idea. The crop still leaves you with lots of resolution, thanks to that camera. The exposure is excellent also, as are the colors. The bacground is busy but it’s perfectly natural for these birds. Well done!