Shoveler's in the fog & RP

on a cold, moderately foggy morning in the Pacific Northwest.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Since this was taken in a foggy situation, I always have some trouble deciding whether to accentuate the fog or the critter. I made an effort here to try to compromise and get both.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-1000, 400+ 2X, F5 .6, 1000th, full frame cropped to panoramic, A7r4, handhelds from a car

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

David, I love the muted colors due to the fog. Nice detail and the action with one bill in the water. It might be personal preference but it looks a little unbalanced to me. I would crop some off the right side.

I like the way you handled the fog in this one, David. I also like the piano aspect ratio, but I do think shifting the shovelers to the right in the frame would work better.

Good afternoon David. I’d like to offer a little different perspective that Dennis and Sharron. To me, this shot would me much cooler and have a bit of a minimalist feel if you removed all of the reed patches from the scene. I think it would bring the viewer to the front Shoveler and draw them horizontally across the image to the trailing wake. To me the reeds just distract from a pretty cool, foggy scene. Thank you for sharing!

Very nice! I could see a cooler version but I like the vegetation. I’d hate to cut off the wake on the right but could see adding a bit more on the left. It’s probably the way they are offset, but I wonder about a very slight CW rotation. There seems to be a clue in the trailing wake.

Nice one David. Everything looks so calm. I like the vegetation and I think it could also work without it. Pano works well.