Eastern Kingbird

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Seen at my neighborhood lake yesterday morning.

Specific Feedback

Any.
Thoughts on the perch or crop?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 2500, f5.6, 1/1600s, hand held

1 Like

Allen, this is a nice capture of this Eastern Kingbird. I like the perch. He is obviously out in the wild. Nice BG as well. I can’t think of anything that would improve the shot.

These are one of my favorite birds. What a terrific portrait with a bit of environment thrown in. They are so fun to watch, aren’t they? Always swooping and swishing. You have the most outstanding feather detail here - in both whites and darks. Amazing and really fun. I’m not sure ours are back yet, but they probably are. They like to sit on one of our dock posts and wait for bugs. Makes a bit of a mess though.

Excellent image, Allen. I like the pose and bird being on top of the perch. A couple of nits that you may or may not want to look at. There are several white dots that are probably stuff caught in a spider web, but the web doesn’t show so they look like they’re hanging in the air. The other thing you might want to look at is that first branch on the left below the bird. It’s just enough out of focus that it kind of draws my eye, even though the curve fits the bird so nicely.