Eastern Pondhawk (+ Rework)

Re-edited version as per suggestions in comments below.

Original image

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I started photographing odonates back in 2021. If there is one thing I have learned about them is that they can be predictable. That is to say that if you see them landing on a place, chances are they will return to that place over and over. To capture this image all I had to do was lie on the ground and wait a minute. This adult male Eastern pondhawk allowed me to capture several images at eye level. That was a first for me since most of my previous odonate photos were with them flying or perching on a stalk above or below me.

Specific Feedback

How do you feel about the crop? Are there any distracting elements I might have overlooked in my edit? Any other suggestions? How’s the composition?

Technical Details

This image was shot at full zoom (600mm crop equivalent) and was hand-held. I was able to get the camera on the ground for that perspective. Edits were done in LR and PS. All other data are shown in the image below.

You are correct in odonate behavior, especially with territorial males. Male Eastern pondhawks like to perch low as this one did and posed nicely for the camera. Using F8 gave you a varied but soft green BG as well. Color scheme fits for the Weekly Challenge too. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Super job! The eye-level view is really key for these guys. I like how the perch stands out in all the greenery. Good use of the wings to frame. You could have a go at slightly lifting the exposure in the eyes and face if you wanted. Waiting for them to go to their perches and hopefully they face you. I waited in the kayak for 20 minutes and the uncooperative beastie faced away from me every time it landed. Gah!

1 Like

Nice image here, @Egídio. I wouldn’t mind seeing the subject a bit further left in the frame, but that’s just my preference, not a nit. It appears sharpness fell off a bit toward the tail, but that’s not unusual. It’s a terrific perch, and a nice background. Well done.

1 Like

First, I want to thank @Jim_Zablotny , @Kris_Smith , and @terryb for their valuable critique and suggestions. I have submitted a revised image accordingly. Hopefully, I did not go overboard in the edits.

That was spot on, Kris. Indeed, opening the shadows a bit gave more life to the dragonfly’s face and eyes.

Is the new crop what you had in mind? I wanted to leave some breathing room on the left and not crop too much. As for the tail, yes, I had noticed it was a bit soft. Unfortunately, all other images I took at that time also have a soft sharpness toward the tail end.

Thank you all again for your feedback.

Very nice image of this DF, Egidio. I like the down low view and your rework improved an already nice image. Well done.

1 Like

Thank you so much, Shirley. I appreciate your feedback and compliment about the image.

1 Like