Eastern Sierras 34

Effect of drought in the Sierras, In former years these rocks were under water.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and All craft and content

Technical Details

Lumix G9

1 Like

I have visited this spot numerous times and worked on compositions. The most striking thing about this image is the color of the granite. I always remember it as neutral gray. The blue in the sky is also off but at sunset it can change so that’s less noticeable. Colors, of course, are subjective. Perhaps you wanted this warmth. The composition is good with the arrangement of boulders and and the presence of clouds.

This has a nostalgic Kodachrome look to it in my view. I kinda like that. The comp is good too although the lines go from right to left. To me that feels fine because I’m kinda left handed–or should have been.

I also like the sky, clouds, and sunlight. Nice.

I like how the rocks progress back through the image. The clouds are wonderful. What about cropping a little off the left side? The little bits of shoreline (?) along the edge keep drawing my eye. I also think the image feels a little more balanced with the crop…just my own aesthetics, though.

Thanks, everyone
@Chris_Baird totally agree with the crop I grabbed this out of my catalog. I had not learned the lesson about patrolling the edges. New lesson don’t post until you check your images.
thanks
Steve

Very nice image, Steve. I like the tint of orange/yellow in the sky and the clouds make a triangle that point you through the image. The stones are nice in the FG and also point you into the image. As you said, the crop @Chris_Baird made improves the photo. Wonderful.

1 Like

Very nice! I didn’t know Tenaya Lake was that low. Everything else out here is, so no surprise. But now we’re getting above-normal rainfall and crucial snowpack, at only about 1/3 of the way through the rainy season, so we may get a little relief, but no assurance it will last. The west is in uncharted territory for heat and drought.