Eastern Sierra at Last Light

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was rambling along the Hot Creek Road east of Mammoth in September, enjoying the intermittent rain and hunting for rainbows in the last rays of the day. Found some – but also saw this. I liked the way the foreground volcanic remnants matched the triangle shapes of the distant Sierra peaks. Kept the light low during processing, aiming to be true to the scene.

Specific Feedback

In a recent camera club competition, this image fell flat with the judges. I’m sure I like it partly because I enjoyed being out there that afternoon, discovering and shooting it, but I also shot it as a representative image of that neighborhood – stark, prickly, windswept, harsh, lonesome – and so, thought I’d get rewarded for that concept. I’d welcome thoughts on the composition, light and particularly the concept of this shot. Does it grab you or leave you wondering where’s the beef?

Technical Details

Nikon Z6II, F6.3, 1/500th, ISO500, telephoto.

1 Like

I love the light triangles and the color of the light on the foreground rocks. Maybe you could further accentuate the triangles by cropping from the left?

I think it is interesting and dramatic. There is some wild scenery up that road. There is something of a surprise at the last light on the rocks against the soft light on the distant peaks, but the cloudy sky explains it. I think the mountains are very well rendered. Unless your camera club is in Peoria, I’m surprised it wasn’t appreciated.

Thanks Cathy — will try that crop.

I love the image. I know the area well and have never seen it in this light. It is beautiful, moody, and quintessential Eastern Sierra. I’m glad you kept the light low…that creates the magic.

Tony, I owe you a beer at Clocktower Cellar !

Thanks much Diane. All kinds of crazy light out there when you get a broken sky. Fun to head out and see what happens.

Beautiful image that looks almost like a painting. The foreground is striking and the background provides a contrast that gives it drama and pathos. Really well done.

Much appreciated Igor ! I thought I had captured something good and am getting validated by NPN comments such as yours.

I’ll echo James. Sorry this wasn’t well received. At thumbnail size it looked a bit HDR to me, but opening it large it is a real treat. Well done.

Many thanks John! I do feel it is possible for a photographer to fall in love with a location and to forget some of the “rules” of great landscapes. That afternoon was magical in many ways, with periods of isolated rain showers (attached) lit by the same rays that I captured in the subject image. I’ve had a great response from respected fellow NPN shooters.
Are you an Eastern Sierra shooter?

Ah, just ignore them. I looked at the winners of this year’s NLPA competition and they’re all images with a high scream factor. Images that are made to stand out and grab your attention.

Good advice Igor thanks!