Twilight Ghosts

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Shooting Eastern Sierra twilight and rainbows in mixed weather last fall, I was given this gift. This is looking south through falling rain lit from the west by sunset rays. Trouble is, I don’t know what to do with it. I had a telephoto on the camera and so caught the phenomemon in detail, but not sure if the silhouette of the volcanic landscape provides enough context to make this a successful landscape photo. All that aside, I love looking at it and remembering the moment.

Specific Feedback

I generally believe this shot lacks context and so fails as a good landscape image. It’s too tightly cropped, owing to having the wrong lens on during the brief window of opportunity. Would appreciate some opinions.

Technical Details

ISO 500 handheld telephoto. Nikon Z6II.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

You captured a magic moment, James. It’s unique and beautiful.

I don’t think you need to change much. Here are a few possibilities. The right one-third of the image is inert and I’d crop it out. In this version I dodged and burned the orange areas some, lowered the highlights a bit in the brightest blue part of the sky, and brought out some of the shadow detail to add some depth. Bringing out the shadow detail might require some noise reduction. These are just possibilities to consider.

1 Like

I think you captured a really unique and interesting moment. And in a way that’s enough. The image doesn’t look like a thousand other twilight images, That said, I do think @Don_Peters crop and processing makes a better image

Thanks for this wise edit Don!
With the composition seeming too tight already, I hadn’t considered a crop, nor did i consider bringing out the foregoing details to add depth, but both edits really improved the image’s visual impact.

Thanks much Will. I wouldn’t be surprised if I could shoot this again since afternoon showers are common in that spot. In any case I agree Don really improved it.

I’m glad it helped, James.

Unique and wonderful – both! Who says what a landscape has to look like? Well, who besides a camera club judge, and they have no more of a valid viewpoint that you do – and are probably jealous they weren’t there.

Seriously, you do have a fantastic image here! It’s like you have captured ghosts! I like what @Don_Peters has suggested.

Thanks Diane
It’s true we shouldn’t be boxed in by formulaic rules on landscapes but Don’s improvements showed that certain, proven fundamentals can improve images a lot !

James, the “dancing ghosts” are the story in my view. While I would crop to frame the brighter ghosts, for me, the silhouetted skyline works well at setting off the ghosts. The question for you in terms of the processing and display is, “What story am I trying to tell?”

Thanks Mark. I was liking the silhouetted landscape until it was pointed out to me that brightening it would add some depth. As to the desired story, that’s the right question, and I think the answer has to be “something magical happened in the sky over the volcanic hills east of Mammoth Lakes.” Unfortunately, I didn’t capture enough of the landscape to give the shot a sense of place – at least, that’s my lament. I’ve been trying to give my landscapes more context by shooting wider, but in this case, the lit rain showers were as compelling as a bird in flight, so I shot too tight in my view. As a result, the story here is merely “something amazing happened in the sky.” As I said in another email, I do think these kinds of twilight phenomena happen often in that location in summer, so I may get another opportunity!

Just wanted to say kudos for a great shot James. I think everyone else has made good points to consider. This has several different potential great images. Well seen and well shot.

Thanks Ed!
We only get these rewards as photographers when we get out there, and even if I don’t win any prizes for this, I will always have the image to remind me of a great twilight moment.