Good Night Mr. Sun

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The setting sun produced an explosion of color just as we were ready to call it in.

Technical Details

Canon 7d 70-200 mm lens

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

James, the layers here make a fine photo. The minimal color in the land is set of well by the dynamic color in the sky.

I agree with Mark, James. I love that it feels like a black and white image, except for the sky. I’m undecided on the crop. I feel like I’ve been a bit crop-crazy lately in my feedback to folks, but I also find that once I settle on a crop for one of my own images, I rarely rethink it.

I wonder how this would look with a slightly flatter pano crop, basically making each layer almost equal in height but with the top layer just a tish taller than the others. The bright patch in the upper right pulls me away from the lovely sand dune lines, and I think the image is as much about that as the color, though the color is what makes it all work.

It’s just something to play with to see what you think.

Really nice image any way you look at it. Is this death Valley, Mesquite Dunes area?
ML

Marylynne, thank you the reply and a your suggestion -as it relates to the composition. The pano crop does improve the composition and at the same time eliminates the bright cloud. The venue is White Sands NP in New Mexico.

Ah, I hope to go to White Sands in the next year or two.

Glad playing with crop worked out!!
ML

I just love the color of the sky set against that dark mountain range and finished off with the grey/white dunes below. I really like @Marylynne_Diggs idea on a new crop. Good work with this one.