Edge of the Forest

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Are there too many distractions or too much clutter.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I was drawn to this scene with the yellows and greens and the texture and shape of the tree.

Technical Details

Fuji X-T5, 16-80 f/4 at 59mm, 1/80s @ f/11, ISO 1600. Processed in Lightroom which Basic adjustments before running through Adobe Enhanced NR and makin g additional minor adjustments.

Specific Feedback

Interested in your initial response to this image and suggestions for additional or alternate processing.

Hello Randall; My initial response is that there is no separation between the foreground tree and the background, making it a bit difficult to separate the subject from the background = Merge (not good). Flowers are always a great addition to a scenic, but this is wrong season. I’ll bet you find separation in the fall when the leaves turn, (but no flowers). Also, the loose sticks at the right edge of the frame are a distraction, which would most likely be fixed when obscured in fall color.