Egret in the Tree

I was sitting in my home office (2nd floor) and saw this great egret sitting in a nearby tree at the edge of the marsh. I climbed onto the roof to get some shots. I prefer photos with some action or activity, which the 2nd two provide, but they also make it harder to see his eyes. The best action is in the 3rd photo, but the palm fronds hide part of his wings.!

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any would be helpful.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any is appreciated. Is the composition too busy to be interesting? Since I was unable to get the open wing without being blocked by the palm fronds, should I eliminate that photo?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Shot with Nikon D90 and Nikkor DX 18-300 lens
ISO 800
f/6.3
SS was 1/2000 on first 2 photos and 1/2500 on third

I reduced the exposure of all 3 in Luminar, because small parts of the white areas were blown. I cropped about 40% to reduce some of the distractions from the trees

In the original, there is a spider web string from the palm tree to the stick on the right of the bird. I erased it in photo 1, and blurred it out of the other two.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.!

Well, first of all, I’m envious you have this view from your home. I might go with the first one as the eye is present and the egret seems to have a rather intent look. I might have tried to clone out the branch to the right of the egret and perhaps cropped a bit from the right and maybe remove the small fronds coming down from the top. Nice detail in the egret and the setting is good.

1 Like

Thank you Allen. You are right - we are fortunate to live in a setting with a great view and plenty of wildlife. I appreciate your input and help. I will do as you suggest and compare them.

Good for you to climb onto the roof to get tp eye level with the egret. Well done. I also prefer the first pose because of the eye contact. I do prefer the additional room of the other two for the egret’s feet. If you are looking at cropping you might also look at a bit from left to just inside the left edge of big tree using that as a bit of frame. Nicely done. Exposure looks good to me.

1 Like

Thanks David. I will adjust the cropping as you suggest.

Hi Scott
Nice roof top view. The first shot is more of a classic view and it would be nice if the green branch and dead branch were not there, but that nature. Vary nice work.
Peter

1 Like

Thanks very much! I agree about the branches. Once on the roof, it is hard to move much to avoid them.