Looking for breakfast

Great Egret

Great Egret - 2nd post

I went to a local state park because I know I can always find some activity to practice with. I was please to find this egret searching for breakfast. I set up my tripod, 500mm lens behind some wintering bushes and waited. I chose this photo because I felt it was the sharpest. I did some post processing; cropped quite a bit, I darkened the background to help the egret pop a bit more.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I’ve posted two versions of the egret. The first post, the reeds in the background are sharp. In the second post, I’ve blurred the reeds a bit. Do either of these photos work better than the other for you?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the 2nd post (blurred background) help or hinder the focus on the egret?
Any other comments, suggestions are encouraged and welcome. Thank you.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/18, 100iso, 1/125 sec., 500mm
(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Linda. I tend to prefer the version with the slightly blurred reeds. The contrast also helps the Egret look sharper. I think you could crop about 1/3 of the area above the egret off-there seems to be more room up there than needed. I like the way the white egret works against all those browns and your darkening of the background worked just right for my taste.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank@ I appreciate your feedback. I did try cropping a bit more and also I darken & blurred the reeds just a bit more in this 3rd post. I like this version best.

Very nice, Linda. I too prefer this version.

1 Like