"The Egret" a portrait

I took this photo this morning at the local wildlife refuge. I processed this in lightroom which I am new to using. Any suggestions on how to improve this image would be greatly appreciated.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D7200; 100-400 mm @ 400 mm; ISO 640; f / 6.3; 1/1000 sec.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Nicholas,
A fine scene with the white bird amongst the white flowers. I like the composition even though the bird is fairly centered in the frame - I like the inclusion of flowers on left and top, the lily pads in front, and space where the bird is facing. I could see trying another version with more of a crop on the bottom but this composition works fine for me. I’m wondering if this is a large crop based on overall image quality of the full size frame.

Allen, Thanks for your comments. This shot was from far away. About 80% of the image is cropped out. I think I can change to an 8x10 crop and move the bird slightly to the right.

I think this is a lovely setting Nicholas, I can see alternative crops such as the one mentioned by Allen but in all of those you lose something, I like the large flower at the far right of the frame here. I could also see cropping some from the bottom but I think it’s a nice framing element even though it’s out of focus, so I think I would leave it as is, well done.

Thanks Nate, I wanted to keep as many flowers as possible in the scene. I also liked the framing element. I did try a 8x10 crop and that worked nice also.

From what you have described, this is a big crop. You have very interesting elements in this image. The flowers and reeds add a lot to this. I might try recomposing with the egret a little to the left, but smaller in the frame so you don’t lose the bloom on the right.

Thanks for the suggestion S. I never thought of moving the Egret to the left. I’ll have to give it a try.

A wonderful setting for this egret, Nicholas. I do find the furthest right flower drawing my eye a bit. You might look at a slightly tighter crop eliminating that flower and taking a bit off the bottom to maintain your proportions.

Thanks for the suggestion Dennis. I’ll have to give it a try.