Egret in flight

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D7200, 100-400 mm @ 400 mm, f/6.3, 1/1250 sec. Hand held.

My photographic assistant (grand daughter) and I were at the wildlife refuge watching the barn swallows and butterflies when I saw this egret take flight across the marsh. I took a series of photos hand held from quite a distance away. I thought this was the best one. The image still needed a good amount of cropping.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I can see why you kept this one, Nicholas. While detail is lacking in the Egret, the lighting is awesome. I think this is a great candidate for a little “photo art” work with some of the many filters available. he light, wing position and background are all so good that it would be a shame not to s

Thanks Dennis, I appreciate the photo art suggestion. I’ll have to investigate that since I have no experience in that area.

I also can see why you would want to keep this, Nicholas. I think Dennis’ suggestion for photo art is a good one. I just love the wing position, and that oof background. Wishing you the best with it.

Thanks Shirley. Does anyone know where I can get photo art filters for my computer?

I’m not sure what software you are using at present for editing your photos, but many of the editing software, like Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Paintshop Pro, etc., have the photo art filters built in. If you have an editing software for photos, you might look within it to see if it has photo art. Someone else might can chime in with ideas as to what is best. Wish you the best.

Topaz Studio has quite a few and it’s a free download. It works stand alone or as a PS plugin. It also has the ability to purchase more. Be careful with just stacking them on willy-nilly. A woman in our camera club was really into it and actually overheated her computer by trying one after another and not giving things time to cool off.

1 Like

Thanks Shirley. I don’t have Photoshop, but I’ll have to look into it.

1 Like

Thanks Dennis, I’ll have to check out Topaz.

Taking Dennis & Shirley’s recommendation I used Gimp to do this watercolor conversion.

I like this, Nicholas. I don’t know what kind of controls Gimp has on this filter, but maybe slightly smaller “brush strokes” would work even better. I think I’d somehow get the eye back in the image. Still it’s cool.

Thanks Dennis, This one has just small enough “Superpixel” size to bring the eye back.

I like this, Nicholas. I’m going to have to look into doing this myself in similar situations.