Birdscape - Great Egret

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Went to the local park pond again this morning. I noticed the egret fishing near the bank. I also noticed the two separate rows of wildflowers on the bank and reflecting in the water. Thought it might make a good birdscape image. The egret is flipping a fish in this shot.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, monopod
ISO 1600, f5.6, 1/3200s

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

1 Like

I love all the flowers in the background, Allen, but I think you could lop some off the top. Maybe above the nice line of flowers the go across about 2/3 of the frame. In particular, there’s a small clump that’s pretty intense at the top edge directly above the heron’s head that draws my eye.

1 Like

This is a wonderful story of colour and graceful movement. This photo evokes tranquility.

I see Dennis’ point about the clump of yellow on the top edge above the birds head…I might just remove that rather than cropping.

Beautiful!

1 Like

Sheeesh! A Great White Egret flipping a fish, standing in a gorgeous pond with wonderful flowers on the bank and both the flowers and bird making a great reflection. It really isn’t fair, but you deserve it anyway!! :smile:

1 Like

For me, the ideal bird shot is one in which the setting could stand alone as a pleasing image. For me, this image fits that ideal. Of course, birds rarely cooperate, but when they do the results are attractive images like this one.