Elephant at Sunset

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

At sunset I watched as a herd of elephants passed by hoping that one would walk along the top of a small rise. Fortunately one did and I shot at at -1 2/3 EV to make it a silhouette. There was a Bataleur Eagle in the tree which added another bit of interest.

Technical Details

Canon R5 and 100-500 lens at 1/500, f/8 , Auto ISO and cropped to about 90% of its original size. I also used a technique shown in a video by FStoppers using selective color to add just a bit of color to the sun which otherwise would be blown out.

1 Like

Beautiful, Richard! Wonderful composition and exposure. I love the juxtaposition of the gigantic pachyderm with such an iconic bird, settling in for the evening. And I also love the faint details still visible in the shadow, such as the elephant’s feet and trunk. Nicely done!

You’ve made me so homesick to return to Africa! Where were you for this image? Oh, and, can you point me to that Fstoppers video?

Michael: thanks for your comment. I took this photo in the Sabi Sands area not very far from the Sabi River in the southwest corner of the camps that ring Kruger National Park. I tried to post a link to the video, but when I did, a window came up saying the video is unavailable. I checked and the video is still viewable so will provide instructions as follows:
in Youtube go to f64 Academy and look for the title Fix landscapre Blowout Highlights with Selective Highlights in Photoshop.

Thanks Richard, I’m on my way to f64 Academy now. Regards – MET

And thanks again. Just watched it, and I can’t say I’m ‘blown away’ – but only because NPN might oust me! :laughing:

Beautiful image very nicely captured !
Ideally, I would have preferred a touch more room between Ele and sun.