End of a Long Day

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A herdsman at Lake Kerkini, N. Greece leads his animals to new grazing land before nightfall. My wife’s favorite, probably because it doesn’t include a butterfly! Taken 4 years ago with long lens in the evening. They appeared down the road as I was out birding, so I grabbed a few shots. Can you spot the dog?

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

D7100 + 200-500mm (@500mm) 1/400 f10 ISO 400

2 Likes

I like slice of life shots like these. Folks just going about their day. Took me a while to find the dog, but there it is. I like the stand out ram there with his huge horns as a counterpoint to all the rest. The dust certainly adds a lot of atmosphere and reality.

I like this, Mike. It’s a great glimpse of a life we don’t usually see. It looks as if the light were still pretty harsh. Do you still have the RAW file so you can bring down the highlights and raise the shadows? I suspect you want to leave some of that feeling, but I think a compromise might help.

Is the dog the brown thing on the right that looks like a calf?

Thanks @Kris_Smith and @Dennis_Plank . A clue for the dog: search the first quarter of the photo from the left side.