Enjoying His Perch

Side view

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A couple of weeks ago I was able to visit the Chincoteague NWR (my favorite place). This Cormorant just hung out on this limb sticking out of the water. I took some photos and walked around and photograph other birds and came back as the lighting was getting better (in the evening) and he gave me some more poses.

Specific Feedback

Exposure look good? I tried to calm the BG (he was a bit too close to it to get it oof like I would have liked. I blurred it some and pulled contrast down. Does it look natural?

Technical Details

Canon R5, Sigma 150-600mm at f6.3, 1/640, ISO 320, HH. Edited lightly in LR.

I love the pose in the first one, Shirley, but it sure blends into the background. The second has a lot more presence and though the background is still busy, the bird pops from it sufficiently that the background is just there without being obtrusive. Detail and exposure is excellent in both images.

Thank you, Dennis. I just love face on shots of birds, so that made it my favorite. Appreciate your comments.

Shirley, I am glad to see you have been able to get out a bit. Great subject to have be able to shoot. The lighting and composition on both photos are beautiful. You’ve done an admirable job of the background considering his position. The second image does stand out better, I think because of the pose and lighting, but I love the expression/look on the first image. Great time of year to be out and about. Nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

Cormorants are such characters and you’ve caught that very well here. The first one is priceless in that awkward looking stepping pose. The second is classic - that profile! I love the legs in that one, too.

I would blur the bg more if it were mine. Looks like the plants were very close to the bird and blurring will help it stand out more. It’s easier than ever to do this in Photoshop, but if you want a quick tutorial, let me know.

1 Like

Nice finds! With the closeness of the BG you can’t expect to get the sort of image where the bird really stands out, so the story has to be one of the bird in its environment, in which camouflage is an important element. You have that story here and the color-matching BG is an important element. Whatever you did was an excellent job of subduing it without it being obvious, so the birds stand out enough. The second is the classic pose, and the head stands out nicely against the greens. Exposure looks good!

1 Like

Both nice images of the Cormorant and I like face on shots as well, but for me the second shot works better as the bird shows better separation from the background as does the perch. I like the color palette and looks like you had some nice light.

1 Like