Ephemera #9

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another oldie, from 2007. This old rice storage facility was south of the SNWR in the Sacramento Valley. I had to stop one trip and see what I could do with it. It was a softly cloudy sunset. The “clouds” are from a rusty old 55 gallon drum (probably toxic) along the railroad tracks in Tehachapi, CA.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 2.28.05 PM

Lots of masked adjustment layers layers and blending modes – probably some cloning.

2 Likes

Wow. Just wow.

I’m having a hard time saying anything because I keep seeing more things in the image. So I’ll just say what I see as I see it. The sky illusion is fantastic and it makes me laugh; it’s there and then not there, like the vase-face feeling. The sky illusion is stronger in the thumbnail, and the texture of the can comes through more on the large monitor. For me, you’ve struck a perfect balance between the literal and suggested, but you could skew it one way or another if you wanted.

I love the colors, kind of a more saturated Bierstadt. They contribute a lot to the feeling of old. For me, you’ve struck a realistic balance between nostalgic-old and rundown, abandoned-old. Emphasizing the weeds, especially in the foreground LRC, would feel more abandoned; a slight increase in softness would feel more nostalgic.

I also love the classic perspective lines of the railroad tracks and telephone wires. I get a sense of motion from advancing and receeding lines, almost like I’m on the train.

Conclusion: Super duper fantastic!

Diane, while there’s a fine “rustic/nostalgic” feeling here, this image is clearly dominated by “hand of man”. That means it belongs in the everything else gallery, since strong hand of man was not indicated in the WC description.

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver – I clearly wasn’t thinking! I’ve moved it.

I really like the warm tones and shapes of those buildings. Very cool. The background sky with its color and texture is fantastic. Really eye-catching. Super job blending these together!

Diane, You are an astrophotographer and painter as well - wonderful. You have made what might otherwise be a prosaic, common silo image into a unique painting. I am intrigued by the overlay of letters and numbers. What was your vision with those and how did you randomize them so well? Terrific!

A great job on blending the two images, Diane. This really makes a powerful image of the old granary. The leading lines of the tracks and the row of storage silos really pulls my eye into the image andthe “sky” with remnants of an old label add a decided note of mystery to the image.

This is a great composite image Diane. The elements are well positioned and the “clouds” are an inspiration. For me though I would remove the power lines top RHS as I do not feel they add to the composition. Although I like the overall colour palette it is far too oversaturated for my taste. I feel for a vintage look a less saturated image would have more effect.

Outstanding, Diane. You’ve taken a very nice composition and transformed it into something unique and compelling. What you’ve used as a background so thoroughly compliments the subject and, rather than distracting completely draws me in. Your choice of colour palette is wonderful - I love the way this structure of silos seems to glow from within. You’ve taken something prosaic and, presto change-o, made it magic.