Equal & Opposite Reaction

Another River Otter shot from Southwest Washington two plus weeks ago. More of an environmental image. Difficult to blur the background due to close proximity.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I tried to keep the sharpening as low as possible as the wet clumped fur increases that possibility.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Crop okay?

Any pertinent technical details:

ISO 1600, 300 mm, F9, 680th, Fuji X-T3, 30% full frame, handheld with support from a beanbag on a car window, Adobe camera raw 11, Topaz AI Clear, Topaz Adjust, TK sharpening action at 10%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Wow! Really nice otter image. You handles the wet fur well and sharpening and detail looks good in the larger version. I like the crop, but I frequently crop pretty tight. The fish really puts this over the top.

Excellent, David . The water coming from the fish is great, and you had an excellent angle on the otter in this one. Nice angle on the fish’s eye as well. I don’t mind the background at all. To me it’s not distracting…

What a shot, David! Perfect in every way.

Cool shot, David. I do think the crop is fine as-is, but another consideration would be to go vertical. That could further emphasize the connection between predator and prey, while eliminating some a lot of the background grass texture (which isn’t bad, but seems to be a concern for you based on the sharpening comment).

Max

Excellent shot. So sharp with great elements including the water drops. Background doesn’t both me at all. As far as the crop, I think this is one that multiple crops work well. This works. As Max states, a vertical crop or even a square crop does really emphasize the subjects. Still waiting for my own river otter!