European Hornet?

I dont know if this really is a European Hornet, it was hairy or fluffy. Adding twist to the scene, it was carrying around a young. It eventually flew off with the young one, which was alive. Dont really know what was going on.

6DII, 180 Tamron, F14, 1/80, ISO 500

Balan Vinod

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

balanvinoddotcom

A fascinating and mysterious scene. Great focus - both the adult and the … juvenile? … are nice and crisp. If it were mine I’d clone out the bit of leaf at the top and maybe tone down the green on the left part of the plant. Opening the shadows on the insects would bring up some more of that lovely detail you caught. The fuzziness is interesting - I’ve never seen a fuzzy wasp before and I think it makes it less scary. If this was a typically smooth wasp it would seem fiercer and more deadly. Nice catch!

Folks…I was also advised this is a " velvet ant" species " Mutillidae" which is a kind of wasp, on a mating behavior .

Balan

Balan, this is a wonderful behavioral shot of this most interesting “wasp” or whatever it is. I had a different thought than @_Kris had with the leaf at the top. I was hoping maybe you cropped it in some, and actually have the whole leaf. If so, I could see allowing the whole leaf to “frame” the subject. Also, I was thinking maybe cropping in a bit from the left too, and toning down whatever is left of the brighter greens on the left (which if you leave that top leaf in, you will want some on the left to be preserved so the leaf has something to attach to). You might need to crop a bit from the bottom if you are able to add the rest of the leaf into the top, just to help the composition feel right.

The details in both subjects are excellent. On my screen, the shadows look okay on the subjects, but maybe that is just my screen. Worth checking out. I would be much pleased to call this mine, so I am only providing thoughts of things that might improve the shot.