Hornet?

This imposing insect has been hanging around my Mint flowers for several weeks and I finally got around to taking a photograph. Someone can do an ID for me. It seems to like the flowers quite a bit and spends time with the mason bees.

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested: I am primarily an avian photographer and don’t take very many insect images so I apologize in advance for not critiquing other images.

ISO 250, 100-400 at 400 mm, F8, 1600th, 20% of full 61 megapixel frame, A7r4

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

David, I have no idea the ID for this guy, but you sure captured some nice detail in him. I wish all the oof flowers in front weren’t there, but they don’t always pose in the perfect studio setting for us. It looks like you have enough good details in him, that you might could crop some of that oof flowers out of the image. I love the flower his is on too. Hopefully someone can ID him.

Hi David,

This is a great golden digger wasp. Fairly sharp and wish that the more detail was present in the face. Comp is fine as presented. Well done…Jim