Great Golden Digger Wasp

This time of year I spend a lot of time on a local nature preserve digging out Tansy Ragwort. Since a good share of the native flowers have already senesced, they attract a lot of insects. Yesterday is the first time I’ve seen one of these and I’m not sure if she was collecting pollen for herself or hunting insects for her eggs to grow on. I was doing a lot of walking, so I dug out an old point and shoot to take along. Unfortunately it doesn’t have very good macro capability, but I think this one worked reasonably well. This is a large wasp-probably 2 inches long, but like most solitary wasps is pretty harmless.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon SX260 point and shoot, hand held, 1/2000 and f/3.5, iso 400, focal length 4.5 mm (I have no idea what that is in 35 mm equivalent, but it’s the minimum focal length so it’s probably wide angle). Shot in AV mode with -2/3 EV to keep from blowing out the yellow flowers. I increased exposure of both the flowers and the was in post processing and cropped for composition. Removed a couple of brighter out of focus background twigs.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Dennis, I can’t imagine a wasp 2 inches long! They grow big out west. I am really impressed that on old point and shoot camera took this. For it to not have macro capability and accomplish this, I would say it had a lot to do with the photographer’s skills and abilities. I think the details are very good. Well done.

1 Like

Great photo Dennis. The camera did quite well but the composition was well framed. The color contrast is very well. Post processing worked out very well

Dennis, Great image for using a point and shoot. color and sharpness look good. Agree with Shirley, it takes a lot of skills to be able to get good images with a point and shoot. I have tried it in the past, but got rid of the camera after getting frustrated.

Dennis, this looks very good in spite of using an “old P&S”. You did well filling the frame with flowers and the wasp.

Dennis: I’m always amused/somewhat annoyed when folks look at my images and ask what kind of camera I use. If I’m in a particularly feisty mood I’ll counter with, “Would you ask Beethoven what kind of piano he played?” Equipment is secondary to technique and vision which is so ably demonstrated here. I generally despise wasps but this is a fine subject and a terrific capture. >=))>