Wasp On Wildflower

Yesterday while I was out capturing images of anything that would pose for me, I noticed this wasp (not sure of the ID, I tried looking it up), land on these small (probably 1/2 inch flowers that have grown up on their own). The background was quite a ways away, so the light from the flash dropped off. I liked that, and darkened the background even more using NIK.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything that will improve the image.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Shot with Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 100 mm f2.8 L macro lens, KX-800 twin flash with diffuser, HH, manual settings at f10, 1/200, ISO 200. Edited in LR and NIK. I cropped a little, and turned the image counterclockwise to help with how the flower was coming into the image.

1 Like

Wonderful, Shirley. The dark background is quite unique and adds a bit of drama to the image. The detail in the bee is spot on. Glad to hear you are getting some time outside. Very nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

I really like this, Shirley! It has a very elegant, studio look to it. It reminds me of the ongoing ‘Photo Ark’ project of Joel Sartore! I’ve tried this technique on flowers a few times but that’s good to be reminded of how the background needs to be more distant to pull it off. Really nice work!

1 Like

Great sharpness and detail on the wasp and flower. I like that the BG disappears.

1 Like

Great photo Shirley. The dark background really brings out the flower and the subject very well. The yellow lines of the wasp help bring her out. I don’t see any real strong reflection from the flash or shift of color. this is one problem I am sort of having. I like the position of the flower in the LLC

1 Like

Excellent macro, Shirley. I like how the wasp is a paler black so it stands out from that super BG. This flower (or something similar) is all over the place in Korea right now, attracting many insects large and mainly small. I call it fleabane.

1 Like

Really well done Shirley. Wasp is nice and sharp, well positioned and I like how there are no overlaps on any of the flowers or buds.

1 Like