Red Paper Wasp

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I saw this guy in the lilies the other day and ran and got my camera. I like how he is almost laying down on the flower and working on gathering the pollen.

Specific Feedback

Anything you can see that might improve the image.

Technical Details

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 100 mm macro f2.8 L lens, HH, with KX-800 flash and DIY diffuser. All manual settings at 1/200, f10, ISO 160, and flash at 1/8th power. Edited in LR, cropped a little to bring more attention to the wasp.

4 Likes

Nice job! I love the intense yellow throughout. Your flash set up came through again! I like the slight diagonal, too. Can’t think of anything to improve. Seriously good.

2 Likes

What @Kris_Smith said! I never thought anyone would gather the fallen pollen grains! Maybe try cooling the WB a tweak? That might bring out a little more tonal separation, but the inside of the flower would have been very warm so just an idle thought.

1 Like

Wasps also play a role as being major pollinators in the natural world. Wonderful details and you kept those yellows from going out of control. The subject, including the eye, is tack sharp. I like the photo as presented…Jim

1 Like

Fantastic capture, Shirley! Love how the lines of the flower lead right to the wasp and the color. . . amazing. Sure would be tempted to print this as big as possible and hang it! Outstanding.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,
what a beautiful image. The wasp is beautifully camouflaged in the yellow flower. Great that you spotted it at all.
The eye of the wasp seems to reflect the dark dots of the flower. But I guess that the wasp has such dark spots on the eyes.

There is nothing to suggest. Wonderful image. Well done!

1 Like

Well done, Shirley! :slight_smile:

I like the composition, the subject, the color and the details.
I really like how the color of the flower is being absorbed by the wasp.

Very nicely done! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow Shirley this is great - love the yellow all over and such a unique vantage point for us to view the wasp. Also love seeing those wasp eyes with the dark spots on brown - very cool. Great job on this - I might need to take up photographing wasps instead of just ignoring them. Well done!

1 Like

Agree with all the positives above. I do love how there are really only two colours in the shot as well.

1 Like

Shirley: I must admit that wasps of any ilk are persona non grata in our garden but this is a pretty cool image. Good job getting after him and just a superb capture. >=))>

1 Like