A Wasp?

I was out shooting a few bees on the blooming pear tree this morning, and saw this beautiful “wasp” enjoying the nectar as well. If someone knows it’s correct species and title, that would be nice.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any to improve the shot.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything you might see that would help improve the image.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Shot with Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 100 mm L macro lens with KX-800 twin flash with diffuser, handheld. Setting manual, f8, 1/250, ISO 160.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

I really like the colors of the wasp with the green leaves in the background. I did a quick search and found a wasp that looks like this here:

not sure if that it, just a guess. Really nice capture Shirley

Thank you, Linda. Not sure why I didn’t a search on it. I am not sure this is it or not. The wings look like it for sure. But I notice on my shot that he has different markings than the ID you found. Thank you so much for your kind comments and for looking up the ID for me. I just tried a search and I am leaning towards the Red Paper Wasp. Be interesting to see if someone else knows for sure what it is. I was able to get in really close. This image is almost full frame. So, I don’t think that he is aggressive, fortunately for me.

Good catch on the “red paper wasp” I saw one of those, but from your photo couldn’t quite tell. Love to hear from others also about this little guys identity .

1 Like

That is beautiful @Shirley_Freeman. Wasp have amazing color and detail. This one came out prefect. I am bad at identifying.

Shirley, the lovely golden brown and yellow of this wasp look great. You’ve also got great detail in it’s eye. I’ve seen wasps similar in color to this on “grazing” peacefully on milkweed leaves within a foot or so of my head, so they don’t seem to be aggressive and they are very colorful.

1 Like

Hi Shirley, I am very jealous you get to shoot insects now (but please keep them coming!) I guess we won’t be far off here in Memphis. Very nice look at the wasp - love the pattern of the eyes you have captured. That twin flash is working well for you (or should I say you are using it very well!). I like this as presented but you might try a version cropping from the left to eliminate the oof cut off flower - it does kind of draw my eye. Nice details and well done.

1 Like

Shirley: I’m not much help on the ID but I do like the image a lot. I like your DOF management and the detail on the head and body. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like