Great Golden Sand Digger Wasp

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this wasp feeding along side many western honey bees and thought it made an attractive subject. The plant is Sedum ‘Autumn Joy’.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome

Technical Details

Z8 400mm f/8 1/800 ISO 360

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This is excellent Daniel. Amazing details throughout and great DOF. I love the colors of the flowers and it has a good BG to complement both flowers and wasp.

Thanks, Ed. Every year this plant is host to many honey bees and wasps. I hope to capture more images in the coming days.

Dan

Hi Dan. Excellent detail in the wasp and perfectly placed between the flowers. Flowers are lovely as well. Nice one.

Thanks, Allen

Dan, exquisite detail on the wasp, great placement between the beautiful flower clumps, and nice BG.
Very well-done!

Beautiful image, Daniel. I love the composition and the detail in the wasp is excellent. It looks like it moved that near hind leg while you were shooting. It’s interesting that 1/800 didn’t stop the motion on it.

A great capture, Dan. Such wonderful details in the wasp. I like his position as he seems to be climbing over to the next clump of beautiful flowers. Well done.

Daniel: A great catch and a fine capture. The details and colors on the wasp are arresting. I hate the darn things but I have to admit it makes for a fine image. >=))>

Thank you Sandy.

Thanks to Bill, Dennis and Shirley for the kind remarks.

1 Like

Great focus, colors and pose, Daniel. “Autumn Joy” is a sedum which seems to attract all sorts of insects all over the world about this time. I like how we see the flowers clearly too, and the jagged leaves make a nice blurred background.

Thanks, Mike.