Wasp on Daisy

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was from Zion NP a few years back. Not sure what type of wasp this is. Please don’t tell my son, he’ll fail me as an entomologist. . .

Specific Feedback

Are the stems and buds in the BG too distracting?

Technical Details

Canon 5DMiii, iso 400, f8, 1/2500 sec, -0.7EV, 100-400/1.4TC at 560 mm.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

Ed: You know my attitude about wasps but this is a nice capture. I’m OK with the OOF buds but I do think I would make the two stems exiting the frame upper right go away. >=))>

Thank you @Bill_Fach I was kind of thinking those two stems were distracting.

Wonderful capture, Ed. Looks like a beautiful summer day. No, the stems are not a bother, at least for me they act as leading lines. Perhaps, either remove the flower in the URC or burn it down a bit? The one part that catches my attention is the white spot in the BG on the left side. Just a thought.

Nice catch. From what I know of similar wasps, they are flitty and fast. The dark color looks rich without being blocked and the focus is where it needs to be. Love her eyes. The dark stems could go without an issue, but that’s obviously a matter of taste. Maybe give the midtones a nudge up with a curves adjustment if you have a mind to play some more.

Nice composition, Ed. Overall great color and details nice. I agree with the stem on the upper right and maybe making the background a little darker and less color to bring out the main subject. Great image

Thank you very much @linda_mellor, @Kris_Smith and @Dean_Salman. I apprecite your help.

1 Like