Evening Killdeer

This Killdeer was at the boat launch for a local nature preserve. I like the way the late sun provided the light. I did clone out a weed that was directly in front of the bird.
Please tell me if there is anything I can do to make this better. I have a lot to learn.
Canon T5i
ISO 800
shutter 1/640
F 6.3
Sigma 150-600 at 600
Thanks,
Brian

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The great light really makes this shot for me. Nice pose and good detail. I suppose you could play around with cropping some off the right, but I like it as is.

1 Like

A nice look at this Killdeer, Brian. I like that you are looking up at him, which is an unusual point of view. The clouds make for a wonderful background. The lighting really makes the shot. I agree with Allen that you might consider cropping some off the right side. Nicely done.

1 Like

Brian: This is a nice environmental image. The surroundings add a lot to this with the lovely background and the habitat. I would not crop anything. The small green twigs on the right balance the image nicely. I did a bit of PS work to bring down the brightness of the rocks and foreground to keep them from competing with the killdeer. Also a bit of noise reduction to mostly deal with the background noise that was evident. See what you think.

1 Like

Hi Shirley, Thank you for the feedback. Believe it or not I shot this from my car. The bird was actually coming up a slight incline toward me from the water. The blue and white that looks like sky is actually a lake reflecting the setting sun.

1 Like

Thank you Allen, I have a lot to learn.

Thanks Keith, I really like what you did. The clean up does make a good difference. Another thing learned today.

A very nice low angle and some gorgeous light, Brian. It looks as if the whites are blown, so I think you overexposed it a bit. If you’re saving your images in RAW format, you may be able to recover them by bringing down the highlights. I like the pose and the setting, but I think you have more environment than needed. I think you could crop a bit from the left and bring the right side in to just right of the vegetation.

1 Like

Thank you Dennis. I will give it a try.