Ever Been To San Simeon?

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

ALL INPUT IS APPRECIATED!

Canon EOS 700D
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

1/640th, f/9, ISO 400, 210mm

Hope you like this image of the two Elephant Seals, a popular pull-over spot on the Pacific Coast Highway.

Hope you like. If you don’t like, let me know. You won’t hurt my tender feelings! LOL :star_struck:
Suggestions?

Adios,
Jim
Louisville, KY

No complaints from me. Very cool shot. Right place at the right time!

Dave I have to admit this particular spot along the Pacific Coast Highway most of the times I’ve been there you got a whole bunch of elephant seals basking doing everything. So it’s not hard to get shots but I thank you very much for your critique sir.

I like it, Jim, but I do think you could remove about half the foreground sand and end up with a more powerful image.

1 Like

Great interaction and wonderful body language! Square comp doesn’t really do justice to the frame, as Dennis suggested, cropping off half the foreground will make it more powerful.

Very very nice image! Great poses from the seals, and i always love blues and browns together. Sweet light here, too.

Two small nits - about 1/2 of the foreground sand could go, as there isn’t much interesting there, and it’s “dead” space. This would produce a more aesthetic comp.
The second nit is trickier. That white wave is great, but it’s interfering with a clean view of the right seal.
With animals, birds, and waves especially, the BG is often the key to a good vs great shot.

For this reason, I always suggest taking bursts of each shot. Then you have a choice of BG’s and usually a similar pose from the animal. With birds, the tiniest change in wing position in flight, for instance, could be the difference between a very pleasing wing position and a boring one.

You’re posting some great images!
Sandy