Farallon Island Adventure

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any & all

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any & all!

20141101%20022612_West%20Coast_UNID_|690x230

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon EOS 700D
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

1/800th, ISO 400, f/9, 220mm

We signed up for the whale watching trip to the Farallon Islands some 25 miles west of San Francisco. This image was made using my ‘wildlife lens’. Changing lenses would have been a dangerous move, we could barely stand up the water was VERY rough. It was a great trip and we only got a short sighting of a whale. I took this photo when the boat was in a serious trough and I like the result, the base of the island is below the top of the crest of the wave.

Thanks for looking!

Jim Nall
Louisville, KY

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Richard,

Welcome to NPN! The first thing I have to say about your image… I think I’m gonna be sea-sick and I need to go take some Dramamine…

All sarcasm aside, this is quite the unique image and really does provide a sense of ocean - motion. And capturing the island peak above the top of the swell tells a great story. Seriously though, when I look at the large view for more than a moment, my screen starts moving…

Kudos for even attempting this capture.

For any suggestion, I’m wondering if there is any more detail in the sky; not sure if that’s clouds, fog or what above the wave in the sky. Not a big deal as you handled the range pretty well.

Sorry you didn’t see many whales, but at least you came home with a keeper.

Welcome aboard!

Lon

Thanks very much Lon. Actually this is Jim Nall you may remember me from a few years ago. Thank you for the critique and I got a laugh or 2 to from it. LOL

There were a very few that got quite seasick on that trip and thankfully I wasn’t one of them. I had to get up to use the restroom one time and I barely made it back to my seat at the back of the boat it was rocking that much.

As I worked the photo it occurred to me that the sky wasn’t too exciting. And I think deep down I was trying to convey serious motion on the ocean. LOL with the prize in the distance. Lol again

Again lon thank you very much for your critique it is much appreciated and valued by me.

Interesting take Jim. When I first looked at the image, I wished for more of the island; it feels cut off. After reading your description, and the desire to convey the swells, I think it does a good job of that. I agree with Lon on the sky.

Just wanted to say that I’ve been at this spot holding on to the rail, trying hard to hold back the puke as the island appears and disappears with each swell. You’ve captured the moment perfectly. This one scene brings all the feelings back again. You’ve also captured the wildness of the place. A stormier sky would have worked but the boats don’t even go near this place when it’s like that. This is considered to be a calm day.

Igor, exactly what I’m trying to convey with this image! I’d do it again! LOL

It really was a beautiful place and even though not that far from SF, it felt quite remote.

Thanks Igor and everyone else for commenting!

Jim