Majestic - Kauai, HI

Shot on the north coast of Kauai, roughly 200 yards away with my 300mm, we caught some nice light and surf. I’d estimate this swell was in the 15-20ft range.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Comp is always my question

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Jordan: Amazing how such a relatively simple subject can result in such a powerful and compelling image. Many :+1::+1::+1::+1:>=))>

1 Like

Jordon,

Wow, this is quite spectacular. I never would have guess Hawaii/Pacific - looks more like this was caught in the northern Atlantic - some place frigid and dangerous - especially with the darkness above. You catching some nice light - is an understatement. This is quite striking. No nits or suggestions.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks Bill!

Lon - the water was a balmy 75 degrees lol

I really like the photo especially the colors. The only thing I might change is bringing more definition to the top of the big white wave…because so white and fuzzy it’s a little distracting for me but overall great photo.

1 Like

This graphically illustrates one of our favorite acronyms: ILS

Pilots will know and relish ILS as “Instrument Landing System,” but photographers will recognize it as “It’s the Light, Stupid!” :smile:

Terrific photos. My brother the lifetime surfer would be jumping up and down at the sight.

That’s a good one Hank, I’ll have to remember that abbreviation…

@Jordan_Inglee, this is simply spectacular, a wonderful study in light and shadow. I especially love the light on the light blue water beneath the wave crest. I also love the mist in the air in the upper third of the image, in fact I think you may want to to consider slightly dodging the lighter parts of that mist thru a TK Lights selection, to place even more emphasis on it. Just keep it darker than the wave crest and the sunlit water below.

Compositionally it seems OK, although when I looked a the larger image, I liked scrolling the breaker both left and right so it would be off center. The light and development are fantastic.