A New Day

*Disclaimer - I just spent two weeks in Kauai, so I have a lot more coming

One the many sunrises I caught on the North Shore, this was probably the best light. I like how this photo kinda catches a “moment”. I had other exposures with nice water movement in the bottom of the frame, but I chose this one for the calmness and I really dig the rock shadow :grin:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

So the resolution on this isn’t that large- I made a dummy move and cropped my PSB but changed the DPI and saved it. Been too busy to reprocess lol.

Always looking for thoughts on my comp and crop, but any CC is appreciated!

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon d850
Nikon 14-24 w/ Wonderpana CPL

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Jordan: A unique moment indeed and superbly captured. I especially like the light on the sand and the textures visible in the larger version. Most excellent.>=))>

Wonderful image. Fine soft long shadows in the sand, the golden light on the rocks, the right exposure for the sky, great mood. Must have been a great moment.

The comp works nicely for me Jordan; looks like a spectacular morning to be photographing. My suggestion would be to open that sky up; I think there’s a lot of room to add interest without drawing the eye away from the main show.

Oh my, what a morning indeed! You might want to play around with changing the aspect ratio by cropping out some of the sand. I believe you could get away with that and still have plenty of sand displaying that gorgeous light. I also agree with John about popping that sky a bit more. I can really appreciate that fact you processed this quite naturally. But maybe a bit more contrast adjustment to the sky or use selective color for hue/saturation to brighten those oranges. Just a thought.

Great photo! Great composition and great light. I second the motion to crop some of the bottom sand, a bit more than half of the empty space would be my choice.

Beautiful moody and dramatic scene there. Impressive high light control. I like the drama that the dark sky contributes as presented.

Jordan,

What a beautiful seascape. I think you did a great job utilizing the vertical format; so often the horizontal is used to capture these types of scenics. I too am really enjoying the soft and subtle shadows on the sand at the bottom.

The processing looks excellent to me, and I like this as presented. the only small wish would be that the tree on the left not be clipped. There may have been something out of frame.

Beautifully captured and presented.

Lon