Everything

On my second day at the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve, I was wandering for most of the afternoon as I was looking for a portion of the exposed sea floor that contained EVERYTHING. I wanted to show the amazing diversity of organisms that inhabited this small stretch of coast. I was also fortunate to have found such a spot at a time when there was some gorgeous light filtered naturally by the heavy mist in the air, giving the light that golden glow typical in the last hour of the day.

In this small 25-foot stretch of the coastal sea floor, if you look carefully you will find, an Ochre Star, Derby Hat (a red kind of moss), Purple Urchins, Turban Snails, Giant Green Anenomes and Sunburst Anenomes (all closed, unfortunately), Rough and Volcano Limpets, Spindled Rockweed, Devil Weed, Sea Cabbage, Wakame, Sea Lettuce, Encrusting Coralline, Tidepool Coralline, and Red Comb Weed…Phew.

I am posting this bigger than usual so that you can zoom in and really look at all the detail.

Specific Feedback Requested

Two things.

One, are the colors too saturated? I already backed off the saturation, but I don’t want to lose that aspect of the scene, but I want it to be realistic.

Two, Is it too much? Is there just too much stuff for a viewer to absorb in a single photo?

Technical Details

Nikon D850, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 MF lens at f16, 1/2 sec, ISO 100, six vertical frames stitched together in PS CS6, RAW processed in LR Classic.

1 Like

I think what I like about these images the most is not the identities of the objects themselves but the tapestry of details and colors that stretch from one end to the other. It’s like an enormous panorama of fine detail. And yes, it does have some connection to the beauty of a large weaving.

I am very familiar with this reserve. This was a common area students of marine biology came for classes for a variety of reasons. The vertical zonation that results from competition is just one of them. Your other image shows that clearly. Incidentally this area goes way back to the beginnings of the 20th century in terms of attention by early biologists. This was the favorite study areas for Berkeley professors that far back.

2 Likes

First, I think the saturation is fine. I know low tide scapes can have a lot of deep color, and this looks fine to me.
Two, no, I don’t think it’s too much. I definitely had to look at the large image to get a good feel for this image. Otherwise, yes, it could seem like you are cramming too much info into a small space. It’s good stuff, though! I really like the horizontal crop and the glorious spread of critters and plants. They’re gorgeous! This is just one of those subjects, I think, that needs a little bigger image to fit it all in. As you noted, it’s the diversity of organisms that makes it so neat.
Nice one!

1 Like

What a wonderful tapestry of life!! I can imaging the interplay of competition and cooperation (not in the sense of higher intelligence). In fact, sometimes I wonder if higher intelligence is an oxymoron…

The colors are excellent, as is the composition. This would make an amazing huge print.

2 Likes

Youssef,

Outstanding image - not only of detail, color, etc., but of story telling. This is just a fantastic nature story and image!

Saturation, color and overall processing appear spot on to me. No issues there. Is it too much? Nah. But for sure, this would need to be seen large to be appreciated.

If I was to suggest anything, that would be to burn down much of the URC; not only the bright face in that area, but literally burn down the corner. If anything to keep the viewer’s eye in the frame.

Minor wish for me would be more water at the bottom . Just enough blue tones to balance out the warm oranges up top. Plus the details on the bottom edge left of center feel a little cut off. Would be nice to have the water line continuous. But heck, it’s easy being a backset driver. I’m being super picky.

Agree with Diane - no doubt this will make a fabulous print!

Lon